[Stoves] Continuous gasifier for household scale - experience sharing

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue May 14 15:54:54 CDT 2013

Dear Paul and All

I think it would be remiss of us not to mention the work (ongoing) of Roger Samson with his rice hull gasifier that has been around for a number of years. It is a continuous process, makes rice hull char, is natural draft, can be (and is) fabricated at the village level, will cook large and small pots, has a 'blue flame' as you say and has very low emissions, really low PM.

Given the interest in all these features it is a bit surprising that more is not said about the stove. For those who have forgotten it is the Mayon Turbo Stove. I have seen several versions of it and have worked on my own which produced less char and used less fuel. It can be dialled to make the char level you want almost to zero or quite high.

The soot problem is largely from not having enough flame space below the pot, a design problem the MTS does not have. If you are working on them, try to limit the excess air and spread the air around more.