[Stoves] Green Steam Engine

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue May 14 19:42:48 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com>
To: "Stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Stoves] Green Steam Engine

> Kevin,
> Is that not what GEK does??
> Crispin
> From BB9900

The GEK is a true Wood Gasifier, that takes in wood chips, and converts them
to "Engine Grade Gas". (Woodgas with very low tar content.) The woodgas is
sent to a Spark Ignition engine as fuel, to generate shaft power. It does
produce a small percentage of char (and ash), but the char is pasically a
waste product. Char production is fundamentally undesirable in that it
represents a waste of input energy.

The Green Steam Engine runs on steam, as its energy source, to produce shaft
power. To get the steam, one needs a boiler, or a steam generating solar
system. If a boiler is used, the fuel can be anything that releases heat on
combustion... natural gas, fuel oil, biomass, etc. The fuel needs an
appropriate "burner system." A "Full Combustion Stove System" can be used,
to maximize the energy utilization of the fuel, or, where char production is
wanted, a "Char Producing Stove System" can be used.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Kevin