[Stoves] Green Steam Engine

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Wed May 15 02:56:19 CDT 2013

Products which turn biomass into heat efficiently tend to be gasifiers.
>From TLUDs to 30kW+ hydronic heaters, the reason is the same:
gasifier-combustors tend to operate more cleanly than their non-gasifier
counterparts (woodstoves; open fires).

The GEK (not the GEK power pallet) may well serve as a biomass->heat
converter if one omits the gas scrubber and uses their "flare" (or a better
combustion/heat transfer chamber) to boil water. Recycling the exhaust
steam to preheat fuel, then heat water would realize some degree of
combined heat and power.

As to the steam engine plans (not an actual engine)...A back of the
envelope calculation, using his low number of 24% efficiency for condensing
and recycling steam back to the boiler, yields something like 6.5 kg bone
dry fuel/hour. The lower number of 12% for not recycling the steam would
double that.

The relevant question is whether the wobbly shaft drive really adds to the
efficiency compared to traditional methods. Of course, you may also want to
find out whether the cheap off the shelf parts you are supposed to locate
yourself will handle 125psi, or whether the home version that runs off of a
pressure cooker isn't really capable of 10hp. Steam power isn't new, and
there's places that sell heavy castings with "ample safety factors".
(http://www.reliablesteam.com/RSE/RSEengines.html)

Bryce