[Stoves] In praise of kerosene

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Thu May 16 17:24:54 CDT 2013

Ron,

The term "denier" assumes existent truth or reality.  While you obviously
feel strongly that there is a preponderance of evidence and a consensus of
opinion in your argument, neither the evidence nor the opinion warrant
labeling those who disagree with you as deniers.  It is the height of
conceit to do so.

Invoking the term "denier" in a post-WWII context also carries a highly
pejorative connotation, equating one as capable of denying the Holocaust,
and in its more recent use, as being somehow mentally and/or morally
deranged.  Using this term is insulting and has no place in a scientific
discussion, or even a scientific argument.  It certainly has not place
being used on this list.

I am not a denier of truth.  I am a skeptic, but I am not a climate
skeptic.  The climate exists, it would be ludicrous for me to be skeptical
of the climate.  I am not skeptical of climate change.  The climate
changes all the time.  I am not skeptical of global warming.  The earth
has been generally warming since the end of the Little Ice Age.  I am not
skeptical that we humans impact the climate.  The earth has been
profoundly changed by the smallest of organisms.  I am skeptical about
models that predict a catastrophic future because of burning fossil
fuels.  So, I don't mind if you call me a CAGW skeptic, but I will not
accept you calling me, or anyone else who disagrees with you, a denier.

Andrew Parker