[Stoves] Advancement of "better" stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon May 27 10:11:24 CDT 2013

Dear Rogerio

Nice to hear from you.

Today we tested a TLUD that was a bit slow starting but did well and will
get a very low PM rating. The CO was pretty good too. During the last 2 or 3
hours of the burn it was literally cleaning the air.

Let me put some numbers on that. The ambient PM 2.5 level was 52 µg/m3 and
the stove ran below that level reaching as low as 20 µg for more than an
hour. It was burning while scrubbing PM out of the air. The CO(EF)
normalised to 0% O2 was under 50 ppm in certain episodes – maybe an hour
total, I will check the numbers.

The fuel is particularly difficult to deal with (lignite, 30% moisture, >50%
volatiles 11% ash) and the stove was not perfectly tuned to it. Still, I
expect the comparative PM reduction against the baseline product to be well
over 90%, let’s say in the high 90’s.

The product at source is <$90 and is well made by cheap stove standards and
even comes with a 2 year guarantee. Tomorrow we will test another product
offered following the call for technologies issued last week. It is also a
TLUD with some innovations not yet seen in the artisanal market.

I think your price of $200 is realistic. A decent stove would cost about the
same as a smart phone. The problem has been no one wanted to test that
higher end of the market. There are water heating stoves in the hundreds
that cost upwards of $500 but to date none are TLUD’s.

There are definitely ‘wall heating stoves’ which means chimney stoves that
are piped into a hollow brick wall. Today I happened to be in a workshop
that has a partially dismantled wall and I grabbed a photo of it for
explanations like this. They are highly suited to TLUD’s as they can be
heater episodically. As the fire has to be out in order to re-load (or else
it makes huge smoke) the wall keeps the house warm for quite a while. As
TLUD’s are also sometimes hard to control it is a large heat battery which
captures it well.

A constant problem with heating walls is condensation. It really is not
considered in advance so they are frequently rebuilt because of dampness
problems. However that is all healable.

Regards

Crispin in Ulaanbaatar where there is blowing snow and a miserable wind.

Paul,

We are already installing Ecostoves powered by rocket stoves into middle
class homes, as pictured (http://www.ecofogao.com.br/index.php?id=29), and
we hope one day TLUD will be able to enter this same market.  We are waiting
for the technology to mature a bit more, to introduce Ecostoves powered by
TLUD for middle class, who can pay easily US$ 200+ for such stove.

Paul Anderson was here in 2004 trying to develop a combined stove TLUD and
Rocket stove, but at that time it was not practical to use it yet.

Rogério