[Stoves] Advancement of "better" stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed May 29 04:32:34 CDT 2013

Dear Art

I appreciate the effort you put into the project and the report. One of the
things that has been difficult to estimate is the time it would take to
generate an 'improved garden' (or farm) using char from the area upon which
the garden sits. The point is that to do something at scale, on the scale of
hundreds of square miles, would mean generating the char on that same land.

If you have some feedback from real gardens it will communicate a lot. The
viability of cooking while making char pivots on two things: the conversion
of fuel to char without increasing the raw fuel demand, and the rate of
positive return on char placed in the soil. The data that addresses these
issues is of great interest to me.

>We are getting back two "complaints": lack of a longevity and a better
multiple pot cook-top option.

That is valuable marketing information.

>These stoves will allow us to gain entry into the much larger urban and
peri-urban markets where people are sliding back down the "fuel ladder" due
to rising energy costs.

We have noticed that in Indonesia there is a sensitivity to LPG fuel cost.
It is rises slightly a percentage of people go to wood 100% instead of 40%.
The income group they are in is not the bottom of the pyramid, just low.