[Stoves] Advancement of "better" stoves

Jonathan P Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Wed May 29 06:39:03 CDT 2013

Crispin,

On May 29, 2013, at 5:32 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The viability of cooking while making char pivots on two things: the conversion of fuel to char without increasing the raw fuel demand, and the rate of positive return on char placed in the soil. The data that addresses these issues is of great interest to me.

Holding back carbon from combustion will increase the feedstock demand.  This is a non issue if the feedstock is free, or, even better, a waste stream with a disposal cost that can now be avoided.  Of course an  increase in garden productivity, or a sufficient market value for the charcoal,  could eliminate any extra cost even if the feedstock has to be purchased.  And all this with no credit for sequestering carbon.

In sum, the entire value chain has to be taken into account, not simply a few cherry picked data points such as the increase in feedstock required.

Regards,

Jock