[Stoves] Advancement of "better" stoves

Art Donnelly art.donnelly at seachar.org
Wed May 29 10:40:58 CDT 2013

Hi all,
It would be helpful in comparing the merits of biochar producing stoves
with other biomass cooking methods, to remember that a statement such as:
"Holding back carbon from combustion will increase the feedstock demand."
Is completely relative to the comparison being made. Compared to a
rocket-elbow based stove with a good operator: no doubt. Compared to the
baseline of an traditional open cooking fire: not true. I base only this on
the results that Aprovecho produced on the Estufa Finca, using the WBT, the
controlled cooking test we conducted as part of the 2010-2011 : Estufa
Finca-Santos pilot project and several years of observation and surveying
cooks. In a wood to wood comparison we consistently see approx. 40%
savings. In the no one is paying for the type of fuel that does best in the
Estufa Fincas. Even in a fuel rich area like the Talamanca many people are
paying for "stove wood" : cut to length/bundled.
best,

--
Art Donnelly
President SeaChar.Org