[Stoves] Advancement of "better" stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed May 29 13:21:40 CDT 2013

Dear Jick

Well described. There is nothing missing conceptually. The missing things
are the numbers that are balanced, meaning that whichever way we calculate
the claims, they are validated by other approaches.

If the heat transfer efficiency (which saves energy) is above a certain
value one can get a predetermined char yield from a given amount of fuel.
For a given baseline (no assumptions allowed) there will be target
performance target for the heat transfer metric. With that squared away,
there is a real (meaning solid) argument to present to stove programmes to
take a chance on a pilot level implementation.

By pilot I means 10 or 20 thousand stoves in a relative confined area. The
step following the demonstration in principle is demonstration of a device
that is acceptable to the community.

Not all communities lack fuel. Not all communities lack money. There are
lots of possibilities for a range of technologies.

It is perhaps worth mentioning here that not all TLUD's are created equal.
They are not universally clean-burning. They are not all universally
efficient of controllable. We should avoid generalising. Testing is needed.
Expect surprises.

Regards

Crispin testing in Ulaanbaatar and getting surprises.

All,

Let's see if this can be reduced to a very simple proposition.

Generally speaking, cooking fuel is an expense.

Assume all stoves are a significant improvement over traditional three stone
stoves with respect to air quality.

A combustion stove could, in theory, possibly reduce this to zero cost.  But
no further.

A pyrolytic stove, if the char works well in the garden or has a high enough
price, has the possibility, in theory, of actually turning cooking into a
profit center.

Converting cooking from an expense to an income generator is the fundamental
argument for pyrolysis as far as most will be concerned.   Is it not?

If not, what am I missing?

Regards,

Jock