[Stoves] Advancement of "better" stoves

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Wed May 29 18:29:29 CDT 2013

Jock,

You write:
*A pyrolytic stove, if the char works well in the garden or has a high
enough price, has the possibility, in theory, of actually turning cooking
into a profit center. Converting cooking from an expense to an income
generator is the fundamental argument for pyrolysis as far as most will be
concerned.   Is it not? If not, what am I missing?*

You've got it! Precisely.

Here in Dalat where I live, rice hull biochar is commonly used as a potting
soil amendment. This biochar is made in crude retorts that generate a lot
of pollution. All of the syngas is wasted, and the quality of the biochar
is highly uneven. Yet it still commands a substantial price.

Now we can replace these dirty retorts with biomass stoves, and every time
someone cooks a meal, one earns money.

Thanks.
Paul

Paul A. Olivier PhD