[Stoves] Making smoke in 2013?

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Nov 11 07:08:47 CST 2013

Dean and list:

    1.  Yes you are correct, of course.  And thanks for bringing it up

    2.  There are acceptable systems that are intended to go into the “forest” and produce char with flaring (no smoke; not just venting).  Some of these capture some liquids, which is better than not.  But mostly we would hope that the useful energy in the flared gases would justify bringing out the wood, not just the char.

    3.  I was at an “Africa Energy” conference last Thursday and Friday (in my hometown) and numerous mentions of the deforestation associated with making char in the way described.  A major problem for many countries - justified only by providing employment for the poorest.  With a biochar approach, the employment can still be there (to receive proper credit, the sourcing has to be certified).  Most importantly, char-making stoves (there are others beside TLUDs) can make money for the users - so this is a proper topic for this list.

    4.  Can you send the advertisement?

    5.  I urge replacing “bio-char” with “biochar”.  Search engines miss the former.

Ron