[Stoves] Making smoke in 2013?

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 00:18:20 CST 2013

Dear All,

I received a strange advertisement today inviting participants to go into a
forest and make charcoal. As we hear so often, smoke is quite dangerous to
health and adds to climate warming. Making smoke to make bio-char just
doesn't make sense especially in the USA.

It's great to use a TLUD to burn biomass very cleanly (no smoke) and to
then use the made bio-char as a soil amendment. But I cannot imagine the
rational behind burning slash piles resulting in lots of smoke to make some
bio-char. Shouldn't bio-char only be made with no attending smoke?

Best,

Dean