[Stoves] Making smoke in 2013?

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Wed Nov 13 18:05:42 CST 2013

Dear Kevin and Stovers,
    I would love to dissect wood smoke and study  farther but have no
lab-yet. I have a bit of hands -on experience though. Wood  smoke seems to be
good at repelling many  insects.
    Birds like to fly through it, to get rid of  parasites I presume. I
used it many times quite by accident at first, to run the  insects out of the
greenhouse in the fall. The spiders seem to hide good and  come back to
finish the job. They run faster than chewing insects for  example.
    Smoke  also settles creosote on plant leaves  and stems. This repels
insects and seems to resist mildew and other  funguses. It probably kills the
smaller insects, maybe hurts the eggs or  reproductive cycle of others.
    Creosote wash may work as a great soil fungicide or  pesticide in
specific strengths. Possibly breeaking down the smoke into active  components
would help. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Ash, on the other hand, is a nearly perfect  fertilizer, although
sometimes out of balance. It contains everything a plant  needs including most
micro-nutrients, except nitrogen. It also has amazing  surface area due to the
micro silicon crystals fused by fire. This probably  could be an area of
extensive intensive study. Anybody need a Ph.D. topic?
    Mix fertilizer with urine, dilute with  compost, let sit to chemically
and biologically cool off, and it seems to  be a good balanced combination
match as a fertilizer.
    Just my 2 cents,

    Dan Dimiduk

In a message dated 11/13/2013 6:29:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,