[Stoves] In search for a stove model for the disaster in the Philippines

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 14 10:05:00 CST 2013

Hi all

As Crispin mentioned there is lots of biomass to burn as there is tremendous biomass supply after the typhoon. Whats required is an investment in long term stove development by donors. Our agency REAP-Canada http://www.reap-canada.com/ started working on stoves in the Philippines in 1998, where we assessed various stoves  in the Visayas and eventually developed the Mayon Turbo stove. We built 5000 mayon turbo rice hull stoves in the area mainly for peri-urban and rural users who had access to rice husk. We were the first to obtain a clean combustion from a small scale rice hull cooker.  Rice husk is very low cost or free so the annualized cost of cooking is exceptionally low though the metal stove somewhat costly $15-20USD.

Nonetheless I would suggest clay stoves ahead of metal stoves for most of these households in the typhoon affected areas in terms of affordability and replicability.
For individual  households using fuelwood the eco-kalan developed by rebecca vermeer looks to be  the best option for the cooking pots and cooking needs of families.
For very large families and commercial cooking we have recently developed in west africa the REAP clay brick stove locally known in west africa as the no-flay stove. It would be a nice fit for the Philippines based on our previous experiences there understanding cooking needs
http://www.reap-canada.com/online_library/IntDev/The%20Noflay%20Clay%20Brick%20Stove-%20Lessons%20Learned%20from%20Pilot%20Implementation%20in%20West%20Africa%20v2.pdf

We build and install these advanced clay brick stoves for about $9-$12 in west africa but have not installed any in the Philipppines( but we would love to work there again).

Just google mayon turbo stove, eco-kalan and no flay clay brick stove and they will come up for you in on line searches.
regards
roger samson
http://www.reap-canada.com/