[Stoves] planting trees ( the way I'd do it 1, 000, 000, 000 years from n...

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Fri Nov 15 06:28:00 CST 2013

Christa,
    I will agree with what you say here and fully  understand this. One
thing to note though, is that the plants in Ohio  also adapt to the local
conditions. We may have half the overall sunlight,  but it is used more
efficiently. Trees do grow in diameter the winter by  using stored starches from the
roots. We also have a nearly unlimited,  regular supply of water, and deep
fertile soils, which makes a huge  difference. I am suprized at how
comparible growing production is between here  and South Mississippi which is a sub
tropical rainforest. The density of the  wood in Mississippi is better
because of the better growing conditions,  yet natural reforestation takes place
nearly as quickly here.
    We have less sunlight, water, and a shorter growing  season than
Mississippi. However. we do not have the heat in the long summers  that reduces
photosynthisis. Also the dryer conditions in our summers allow  plants in Ohio
to cool themselves better when they need to most through  evaporation. I
was always amazed how cooling through increased ventilation  during the hot
days, incresed production in my greenhouse more than a similar  increase in
temperature during a cold day. It is cheaper to ventilate than to  heat. For
example, most plants will photosynthisise better at 60 degrees F than  at 90
degrees F if they do the best at 75 degrees F. The sunlight, as well  as
chemical processes, are producing a lot of heat within the leaf during  peak
activity. Having adaquate water and dry enough air or enough air  circulation
is key to staying cool and productive.
    Just because a given environment has a warm,  sunny, climate does not
guarentee that it will produce more biomass. The  deserts are vary warm, yet
have little production of biomass. It is the right  climate conditions, with
the right soil fertility, with the right plants, that  makes the most
production.  The areas of my farm with deep soil and a  higher underground water
table are growing the same trees trees twice as fast as  the areas with
shallow bedrock and less water. They are 100 yards apart.   They have the same
climate conditions year round.
Plants compete for the same amount of ground reguardless of the conditions.
 That competition seems to produce ever more productive plants. We need to
harness that ability to adapt, and adapt plants to do our work.
    Evergreens like White Pine and Red Cedar grow and  photosynthisise all
winter long. When interplanted with deciduous trees, the  winter sunlight is
not wasted. Snow on the ground reflects sunlight to the  borttoms of the
needles from surrounding areas, shaded in the summer by the  deciduous trees.
I am amazed how well the local Red Cedar grows, while  being nearly choked
by Honeysuckle. Amure Honeysuckle is an agressive - non  native deciduous
species of tall shrub around here. It was introduced 100 years  ago for erosion
control, but went wild. It tends to choke out most deciduous  species that
are not adapted to growing in dense canopy. The Red Cedar has  adapted to
grow fastest in the winter when the honeysuckle is dormant. In the  summer, it
just gets enough light to keep growing slowly. This combination  produces
twice the biomass per acre year  as either species growing  alone.
    As I stated, the wood I am interested in is already  being grown for
building lumber, and is delivered free as demolition wastes. The  biggest
problem is that it needs sorted from other wastes. There is a need for  on site
demolition waste sorting. I think that can be automated, saving  labor. By
converting waste wood into charcoal, nails can be  easily removed after the
conversion process. If used for iron making, the nails  can be left in the
char, adding  to the production totals, saving use of  iron ore dug from the
ground.
    As the cost of tipping fees at landfills increases,  the likely hood of
demolition contractors being willing to help sort the waste  increases.
They can profit from the loss of tipping fees and possibly even  transportaion
costs if collection areas are managed properly.
    When you study the workability of a process  like I describe, it is the
manegement of the little things which makes  a practical solution. When I
worked in a grocery store at a young age, my  boss always told me" If you
take care of all the little things Dan, the big  problems take care of
themselves".  He was right, because most big problems  are made of lots of little
ones. It is by looking at every step of the process  that the most improvement
can be found.
    Selecting trees for reproduction which best work in  a specific
interplanting situation, in a given environment, will produce  the most significant
production increases.

    Dan Dimiduk

In a message dated 11/15/2013 5:37:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,