[Stoves] planting trees ( the way I'd do it 1, 000, 000, 000 years from n...

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Nov 15 12:21:01 CST 2013

Dan and list:

  1.  This is partly picking up on your ”Is this correct” question below.  The answer is yes.

  2.   I think you were making your calculations from p 23 of the recommended report, which said:

A six-year cycle was recommended to ensure maturity. Harvesting
started in 2008 and it emerged that 6-year old acacia trees produce heavier charcoal than 4-year old
acacia trees. Under ideal conditions and efficient conversion, it has been estimated that an acre of land
should produce about 300 bags (40 kg) of charcoal.

  Using metric, your 7.3 tons biomass/acre converts to about  7.3*(2/2.2)*2.47 = 16.4 tonnes biomass/ha-yr  = 1.64 kg biomass/sqm-yr = 0.8 kg C/sqm-yr (assuming biomass is about half carbon)  And these are bone dry tones.  Can maybe double for wet tonnes.

 Or, sticking with metric, the harvest is 300 * 40 = 12,000 kg = 12 tonnes char per acre per harvest, or 2 tonnes char /acre-yr.  Same as about 5 tonnes char/ha-yr or 4 tonnes C/ha-yr  (assuming char is 80% carbon).   Using your conversion efficiency of 0.3 (w char to w biomass), this is about 5/.3 = 16.7 tonnes biomass/ha-yr - which is  essentially the same that you obtained in English units.    But also 30% is awfully good in any kiln.  If they were only to get 25% conversion, they would have needed to start with an NPP of 5/.25 = 20 tonnes biomass/ha-yr or about 10 tonnes C/ha-yr = 1 kg C/sqm-yr

    One reason for going through this is to compare to global NPP averages which is about 60 Gt C/yr divided by about 12 Gha = 5 tC/ha-yr.  Kenya being twice as large as the global average sounds OK.  I’ll bet they can do appreciably better in those parts of Kenya with enough rainfall.

   3.  My main reason, however,  for following up is to note that this 2010 study by Practical Action nowhere talks about char-making stoves.  It also is full of talk about the illegality of most char making.  In the above example, there is mention only of a six year cycle - no pollarding (like coppicing) apparently - chopping down the whole tree every six years?   I think they can do a lot more cooking (have faster regrowth of the forests) than with the assumption of producing char with no use of the pyrolysis gases (which are presumably not even flared).  So I hope for another study by Practical Action which includes the option of switching from jikos to char-making stoves.  That is - moving wood - not char.  It was disheartening to read about the illegal taxes that hurt the producers.  I wonder if there is also illegal taxing of wood?

    4.   Not really pertinent here, but when I lived in Sudan, the chief forester for the country confessed he was (illegally - prohibitions against introducing exotics) throwing out mesquite seeds at every opportunity.  The seeds of the acacia don’t make it through the local animals (goats, etc), but mesquite seeds do.  He was pleased with his success.

Ron