[Stoves] planting trees ( the way I'd do it 1, 000, 000, 000 years from n...

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Sat Nov 16 02:50:01 CST 2013

Hi Ron, It's been a while,
    So we both agree there seems to be some  conservative estimates of
POTENTIAL Biomass production even when we are watching  and recording it happen.
Well, yes.
    Did we measure the 6 years of leaves left to  compost on the ground, or
the increase in root volume in the stump?
    Just burning only the small stumps and stray roots,  following clearing
my farm lot will add maybe up to 5% of my biomass harvest.  Since I am
burning most of the smaller brush off having friendly bonefire  gatherings,
there is no need to cut the bigger stumps up and get dirt on the  chainsaw
blade. They keep the brush fire going. I am amazed how hard the scrub  dogwood
char is.
    I have a 300 gallon oil tank on its side, on a  skid, with the top 2/3
cut open to manage brush burning, Maybe something  interesting will evolve
from this. I use it to contain ash. I can move it around  the lot where ever
I need to bring it near the pile being managed. Right now I  collect ash for
the lawn and garden. In the future I may collect char as well.  Maybe I can
make a lid that reduces the air intake and use the lid as soon as  the
brush burns down into the container. Right now I put whole saplings in there
and burn them from the brush end in.The stem and even the stump hang out the
side.
     I also have been planning on using larger  stumps as reinforcement on
the banks of manmade Bobcat creek. In managing forest  ar farm lands I
cannot make a strong enough point about erosion control. Dirty  stumps, can be
dumped into washouts. then just add some dirty soil with the  toughest weeds
you can find in it. By the time it settles, it is as good as rock  in fence
wire boxes. On my lot I will use the Hedge Apple stumps for this as  they are
slower to rot.
    If you do have to cut up stumps, let them sit in  the rain and rotate
them till all the dirt washes off. Then use a chain or blade  you don't mind
to sharpen soon.on your saw ;-)

    Dan Dimiduk
    .

In a message dated 11/15/2013 1:21:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,