[Stoves] One more reason I'm back on stoves list

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Sat Nov 16 06:15:48 CST 2013

Stovers,
    My life has led me back to think about biomass  energy. Sometimes it
only takes a small inspiration. The price of acetylene gas  has dropped, and
I'm due to refill the tank. I also am moving the wood/ coal  stove in the
greenhouse to play with a little smithing again. This winter.
    Now I keep thinking about that big pile of brush  from clearing the
farm, and how it's being wasted in bonefires to clear room for  the garden.. It
is composed of Amure Honeysuckle, Redsier Dogwood scrub,  HedgeApple
saplings, Walnut saplings, and maybe a few others. It's all fantastic  for making
hardwood lump charcoal.
    Well - put the two together. you get the idea.
    I measured 440 feet of new drained, rolled clay  foundation gravel
driveways and parking areas built in two years. Now maybe I'm  not walking in
mud everywhere. The farm drain system ( Bobcat creek and pond)  is functioning
well. The main drain culvert is ready to be placed. This  will enable the
deep draining of the area where temporary farm structures will  be built.
    I'm ready for construction. There is no cash for  that, so it will be
Third World or Early American style for a while till  the farm pays back. I'm
not too far from building a section of the old  greenhouse from the old
farm. Maybe by early Spring I can break ground. I need a  carport to work on my
vehicles. The old headhouse treated lumber frame will be  reutilized.
    My son claims that he will bring his buddies to the  farm if I help him
build a BMX bicycle practice quarter pipe. This should help  my labor
shortage with those young teenage boys around when I need a hand. I''ll  charge
them a few minutes labor each time they want to ride the pipe.  Having a team
might help too.
    My buddie said he'd loan me his  tig welder and shop to perfect and
update my welding skills. Landscaping is  leaving me in poverty these days.
There is a shortage of skilled welders locally  as the manufaturing boom starts
to return to Dayton. If anybody knows an out of  work skilled old school
toolmaker, send them here. All the good old guys are  retired. They will hire
about anyone. I was told about a drillers helper  position going unfilled
for a geoligic testing company. Might check that out in  the Spring. I need a
fallback trade.
    When I was a kid those skilled jobs were leaving.  Now they are
returning.
    I''l be in an out for a little, then likely get  busy during snow
removal season. One can hope.
    The jet stream looks about right for a mix of snow  and freezing rain
cycling off and on all winter.
    Thanks all those who keep this list going when some  of us have to drop
out.

    Dan Dimiduk