[Stoves] In search for a stove model for the disaster in the Philippines

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sat Nov 16 06:28:11 CST 2013

On 11 Nov 2013 at 12:00, stoves-request at lists.bioenergylists.org wrote:

> Tin canium Rocket stoves with say ash insulation would be cheap and
> fast but no charcoal.

My experience of doing that is that the tin can burnt through after about
3 firings, but uninsulated will last much longer and still be an
effective stove.

It is also perfectly possible to obtain some char at least from a rocket,
especially if the stove is extinguished after use by removing unburnt
wood and snuffing it in a tin with a lid along with all the remaining
char.  My StoveTech rocket can actually liberate similar amounts,
sometimes more char that way then my Reed TLUDs, and mine is not even the
char making version.

Not so relevant in the Phillipines right now, but by using an old kettle
BBQ as a fire bowl with the bottom half filled with earth, after the fire
has died down, by placing the lid on and sealing the little vent with
earth this liberates a bucket full of char.

Neil T