[Stoves] planting trees ( the way I'd do it 1, 000, 000, 000 years from now)

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 19:20:14 CST 2013

Dear Crispin,
a cooperative started by our group is today the only organisation engaged
in making charcoal from sugarcane leaves. It costs about US Cents 25 per kg
to make the final product (briquettes) and we sell the briquettes at
USCents 50 per kg to users of our Sarai cooker. About 100 organisations
have purchased our kilns. They do not char sugarcane leaves, but pine
needles, needles of Casuarina, urban leaf litter, grass, leaves and
weeds found by the roadside and light agricultural waste. Since the
technology has not been patented, there is also a likelihood that more
persons are using it without our knowledge. I know of at least one group in
Germany, who have been supplied with our kiln.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dear AD
>

> What are the numbers for the charcoal dust producers working with sugar
> cane leaves?
>

> Price paid for char dust
>
> Price for processing to produce a saleable product
>
> Price paid by customers
>

> Thanks
> Crispin
>

> Dear Kevin,
>
> at least in my State (Maharashtra, India), there are some 150 factories
> which compress agricultural waste into fuel briquettes. They pay farmers
> Rs.2000 per ton (about US$33) for the agri-waste, so that the farmers
> transport it at their own cost to the factory. Industries use these
> briquettes as boiler fuel. Using biomass briquettes costs only 30% of what
> one would pay for fuel oil.
> Yours
>
> A.D.Karve

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)