[Stoves] Topics at ETHOS 2014

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 18:16:01 CST 2013

Dear Paul And All

I second the general approach which is to broaden the footprint of the
topics and to 'keep it current'.

The idea about testing methods is interesting. There are different hoops one
might have to jump through depending on where you are in the world. Test
methods are always local and producers often do not know what to expect. In
addition many countries are developing new methods, rubber stamping old ones
without review, and responding to the attention being brought to the issues
of emissions and multiple fuels.

Separately, Mongolia has one of the largest stove programmes in the world
and it has not really received the attention it deserves. The three main
elements of social research (being extended in a couple of months), test
methods and how test results are applied, and the product range currently
being promoted (almost all TLUD's). It is a $45m stove project (so far plus
current budget). On top of that it is working pretty well. The social
science side of stove product identification is receiving much more
attention (see the GACC call for products in Ghana) and there is much to
learn from our social scientist friends.

And of course marketing successes generated by..? I am not even sure we have
a clue how the marketing methods are identified.

Thanks
Crispin

Dear Stovers,

The ETHOS 2014 meeting will cover the topics that we want, and Mark has
asked for additional suggestions.

The original 5 topics that are proposed are:

- Update on the Global Alliance and their activities

- Standardizing Reporting on IWA Indicators

- Stove Performance Inventory, Sharing Public Data, and Establishing Common
Data Formats

- Update on ISO Process

- Updates on Protocol Developments

In my opinion, the 5 proposed discussion topics are fine, but are too
restricted to the agenda of the GACC.

Please add ones on:
    Stove technology and design (NEW, not a rehash of what exists)
    Proven dissemination and acceptance of stoves: results from the field
(This is NOT "The story of my NGO or project.")

    And some panels and maybe some "short reports sessions" (4 minutes
maximum per speaker) that have a common theme and then PLUS open
discussion/debate that gets to the real issues.

For SOME attendees, the topic of "Charcoal producing stoves and related
biochar issues"  is of major interest and will draw in some additional
participants.   But this is NOT a biochar conference with reports on impact
on soils and plants.

Recommendation:   Attend if you can!!!!!!    I have attended every ETHOS
since 2004, and the content and importance is getting stronger and stronger.
48 intensive hours.   And opportunities for side meetings with like-minded
people from around the world are extremely beneficial.   Registration info
and link is below in Mark's message.

And there could be some possibilities for some PRE conference and/or POST
conference meetings and workshops, but none are announced yet that I know.