[Stoves] plant physiology

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 11:50:31 CST 2013

Dear Bob,
hybrid Napier is a high yielding fodder grass. An area of 40 sq.m.
irrigated by the waste water generated by the household would allow you to
harvest daily 1 sq.m., yielding daily about 10 kg green biomass. This would
yield daily about 800 litres biogas and 1kg non-digestible dry matter. The
non-digestible biomass can be briquetted and used as fuel in a wood burning
stove. This is enough cooking fuel for a family of 5 or 6 persons. After 40
days, you are back to square 1, which would again yield 10kg biomass. You
get 9 cuts in a year.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM, <rbtvl at aol.com> wrote:

> thanks Arnand
>
> I hope to come to Ethos but might be in Tanzania working.
>
> do you have any data on how much fuel you can grow at some maximum
> rate?
>
> My concern is that we can't expect poor rural people to focus their water
> gathering energies and land use on firewood production.  Of course, if they
> can burn dried up corn plants and stuff like that it is all to the good.
> integrating growth of fuel and food is always a good idea.
>
> bob

***