[Stoves] NE Biochar takes the C-cake

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 19:29:34 CDT 2013

Dear Ron

Cecil reported that the cooking tasks are very clearly divided between the
fuels.  This holds in principle when there are multiple wood species
available. So in principle, yes cost is a factor but it is also true that it
is not always a dominating factor. If it was people would always choose the
cheapest option which is not the case.

Cecil as part of the social science team will include costs but it is much
larger than our opinion of course. Cecil and I both tend to think
systemically meaning that we consider what would happen if everyone did it,
or bought it, or tried to access it. Where are the limits in the system?
Where does the market develop.  The cost of trade fuels is largely limited
by the cost of transport.

Some things work in niches and any economy is full of them. The energy
economy is no different of course.

The big opportunity is for displacing kerosene with biomass. LPG is not
available everywhere. This will probably require a serious look at
controllability which is a major attraction for liquid and gas fuels. That
and speed of ignition.