[Stoves] Lime residue in stack?

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Wed Oct 9 15:24:21 CDT 2013

Tom,

When I test these un-known materials I do two Calcium Carbonate Equivalent
tests. One is for carbonates where I tip over some HCl in a sealed container
holding the sample and measure the pressure produced. That is the carbonates
and compare with a known sample of pure CaCO3. The other test I heat a
sample in 50 mls 1N HCl the back titrate to get the neutralizing value (as
CaCO3).  The two should match if all in the carbonate form. If the
neutralizing value is higher I consider there might be some oxides in the
sample and potential problems for Ag use. Still can be used but not as
suggested from a soil report and application rate based on Carbonate test.
And caution and common sense required. Safer for me to say just don't use
it.

Frank

Don't understand why the color of my text keeps changing?