[Stoves] Lime residue in stack?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 19:51:34 CDT 2013

Dear Frank,
If the fuel is mineral coal, it can have a lot of calcium in it. In India,
the fly ash from electricity generating plants used to be given free of
cost to farmers for spreading it on the fields, But nowadays it is used for
making bricks and pavement tiles. If the coal has calcium in it, I am quite
sure that a part of it would stick to the smoke stack. I do not know
the chemical form it may be having. It could be calcium silicate.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Frank Shields <frank at compostlab.com> wrote:

>  *Greetings Stovers*
>
> * *
>
> *I am being asked to test a sample of a “lime residue” from a stack of a
> power plant(?) to see if can be used in agriculture or in chemical
> manufacturing. Is there such a thing as carbonates or oxides formed in
> stacks? In pure enough quantity. I was thinking most all the residue was
> from organics (tars) depositing on the walls. Not sure what the fuel is but
> I think is a big operation in Australia.*
>
> * *
>
> *Thanks*
>
> * *
>
> *Frank*
>
> *  *
>
> * *
>
> *Frank Shields*
>
> *Control Laboratories; Inc.*
>
> *42 Hangar Way*
>
> *Watsonville, CA  95076*
>
> *(831) 724-5422 tel*
>
> *(831) 724-3188 fax*
>
> *frank at biocharlab.com*
>
> *www.controllabs.com*
>
> ** **

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)