[Stoves] Shields E450c as a way to test char-making stoves (attn: GACC testers)

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 9 22:56:58 CDT 2013

Subject: 	Shields E450c as a way to test char-making stoves (attn: GACC
testers)
Date: 	Mon, 07 Oct 2013 00:13:17 -0500
From: 	Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu>
To: 	Discussion of biomass cooking stoves <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
CC: 	Frank Shields <frank at compostlab.com>, Jim Jetter
<Jetter.Jim at epamail.epa.gov>, David BERITAULT - Geres Cambodia
<d.beritault at geres.eu>, KARSTEN BECHTEL CREEC <karsten at tech.mak.ac.ug>,
Ranyee Chiang <rchiang at cleancookstoves.org>, Hugh McLaughlin
<wastemin1 at verizon.net>, Tami bond <yark at illinois.edu>, Thomas Reed
<tombreed2010 at gmail.com>, Thomas Reed - 2013 address
<tombreedxx at icloud.com>

Stovers, especially the ones concerned about HOW to test char-making
(and batch loaded) stoves.

[[ The attachment is exactly the same content as this email message, but
in .docx format for ease of making editing comments if needed, or for
forwarding.]]

Frank Shields has proposed an *_alternative method for efficiency
testing of stoves that make charcoal _*(including the batch loaded
ones.)     His comments were made in 3 or 4 messages on the Stoves
Listserv starting on 3 October 2013 under the subject of:         Re:
[Stoves] Efficiencies for the rich and poor.

Below I have snipped the key parts and put them into chronological order
so that you can see the development of Frank's thoughts.   And I give a
quick summary here of what I call the Shields E450c method (proposed):

1.  Char-making stoves (including the TLUDs) do their cooking (or
provide data for efficiency testing) with the energy from combustion of
the pyrolytic gases produced inside the stove from raw biomass.
Factors of moisture content (MC) need to be taken into account (as is
already required in the other testing of cookstoves, eg standard WBT).

2.  The temperature of 450 deg C is measured and established as solid
base temperature for the completion of the most of the making of
pyrolytic gases.  Actually, between 400 C and 550 C there is not a great
deal of variation, and that variation could be entered into the
calculations IF that variation is considered to be significant and IF
the stoves reach that or higher temperatures for sufficient and extended
time in the pyrolytic process.

[We note that in current discussions about revisions to the WBT
regarding char-making stoves, there is NOT a discussion (that I know of)
of whether the chars taken out and weighed were created at 400 or 500 or
600 C or whatever temperatures.  If the temperature is not crucial for
that version of testing, the temperature of char creation is probably
not too critical as long as it is in the 450 degree range or above.
This could be discussed by the experts IF the Shields method gains
interest.]

3.  Therefore, in a stove efficiency test where there is reasonable
consistency in the yield of charcoal on a weight basis from a known
biomass, it is possible to determine the "Energy of the combusted
pyrolytic gases created when temperatures were about 450 C or above".
Frank calls this E450c    .   And this is the energy that is available
to do the "work" of cooking.   Some goes into the pot, and some is lost,
yielding an efficiency percentage.   When you know the starting weight
of a particular fuel (with known MC), and you will know the potential
E450c energy available.   It is directly related to the already
carefully determined energy content of so many types of biomass.    And
that pyrolytic fraction (the E450c energy) has been released when the
pyrolytic process ends (very clearly seen in these char-making stoves)
and noted as number of minutes.   If you note the time that the boiling
temperature is reached, divide that by the total time and you have the
percentage of E450c energy that was expended to attain the boil.

4.  There is no attempt to assign a value (of energy or monetary or
social or climatic impact) to the produced char.

To Frank I say "Thank you!!".   Now the measurement experts can read
below the original messages and offer their comments.

Note:  Frank and I and Ron Larson and Hugh McLaughlin and Thomas Reed
and several others with interests in char-making stoves will be together
on 13 to 17 October (a week from now) at the North American Biochar
Symposium at Amherst University in Massachusetts.  The Shields E450c
approach to measuring efficiencies might be a topic for side discussions
there.  But the real debate is within the IWA technical committees.

Email:psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:www.drtlud.com

> On Oct 3, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Frank Shields <frank at compostlab.com
> <mailto:frank at compostlab.com>> wrote:
>
> Greetings Stovers,
>
> Tom Reed coauthored a book tilted An Atlas of Thermal Data (link
> below) that explains the results of Thermogravimetric data on a wide
> variety of biomass under different conditions. The results show a
> rapid decrease in weight that then stabilizes around the 400c and
> mostly completed at 450c. Using Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) on
> biomass can separate the fuel into two distinct and repeatable
> fractions. The one fraction between ambient temperature to 450c we
> know will be used during cooking as once this restively low
> temperature is reached it has volatilized. It needs no oxygen from
> outside and gets it all from the fuel to form a gas then secondary air
> to completely combust.  The fraction of fuel left above 450c contains
> energy that may be used or left after cooking. To compare efficiencies
> of stoves it seems to me we just need to use the energy of the biomass
> fraction we know will be used and use that value as the energy
> provided. If a stove is designed to use some char as added energy all
> the better for that stove. We do not need to determine the char left
> in the stove. We need to decide to use HHV or LHV but since we are not
> testing for hydrogen and just using an agreed upon value it doesn't
> matter -- as I see it.

> *From:*Stoves [mailto:stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Ronal W. Larson *Sent:* Thursday, October 03, 2013 8:57 PM
> *To:* Discussion of biomass cooking stoves *Subject:* Re: [Stoves]
> Efficiencies for the rich and poor.
>
> Frank:
>
>    The folks working with char-making stoves are not going to
> understand this sentence at all: / 'We do not need to determine the
> char left in the stove. /'
>
> That is as simple a measurement as you can find.   Granted that most
> of the weight loss is before 450 C,  the weight is NOT constant as you
> keep going higher in temperature   You will have a fair shot at the
> temperature achieved by measuring the weights in and out.  But temp is
> not the only variable, there is also the time at temperature, the size
> of the fuel etc.  See material in the Gaur-Reed Chapter 8.

[Anderson interjects:  I recognize Ron's concerns, but I believe
that the impacts will be minor compared to the overall accuracy of
the measurements.