[Stoves] Shields E450c as a way to test char-making stoves (attn: GACC testers)

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Oct 12 16:45:25 CDT 2013

Frank etal

    The key words below are:  "That short of $$ and lab tests. "  Finally we are beginning to see funds devoted to the important testing.  Regional test labs all over the place that weren't there a year ago.

    They are doing round-robin testing  (but what results  I haven't heard).   And (from Dean Still) I understand it is not easy work.  But I still am not understanding how your proposal is going to make it any better.   I think you need to do the testing 4-5 times (4-5 different stoves) using both methods and report on how close your method came to the admittedly more difficult approach used by Jim Jetter and others.

   It seems your are saying now that you will always have to measure the amount of char produced in your approach?

   Yours is a strong statement that the present results are meaningless.  I agree that a charcoal user will want to know a lot more about the char than is now being given.  But knowing its energy content is a very big start.  So what present number is "meaningless"?  My point is that you can't know enough about any particular stove from a test that only tells you the energy content of char produced at 450 degrees in some standard manner (The rate of temperature climb increase is just as important as the peak temperature).  The Gaur-Reed book is very specific about the (time history) way they achieved their results.  No way you can generalize about that in stove testing.

Ron