[Stoves] Blue flame combustion

Alex English english at kingston.net
Tue Oct 15 21:46:12 CDT 2013

Dear TLUD fans,
I was recently treated to a visit from Dr TLUD, Paul Anderson. One of
our activities was to do some flame-whispering.  Using my paleo split
chimney glass combustion chamber TLUD with which we can control both
primary and secondary air, we managed to explore flame colour and excess
air.  It is very easy to maintain a tall mostly orange flame with stack
O2 between 4-7% and C0 less than 100ppm. When I push O2 levels up to
8-9% the flame shortens and is mostly blue (CO remains <100ppm). The
flame speed is reduced and it struggles to remain anchored/attached. It
is essentially a premixed flame burning a tarry gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPSgr3aLYkI

Alex