[Stoves] Biochar retort

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 29 15:17:37 CDT 2013

Mike,

I am sending your request on to the general listserv for "biochar" so
that more people can respond.   Most readers are NOT on both listservs.

Discussion is needed (and then an actual trial) before you will get a
final reply.  But basically yes, the straw can be pyrolyzed.   Please
send all of us some more information:

1.  Seems like biochar is the objective.   What about use of the heat?

2.  Where are you located?   Please tell us more about yourself, your
story, and resources (personnel, etc) to accomplish the task.

3.  Of course we are interested in the economics of what you are
doing.   And in the possible replication in other parts of the world.
So all info from you would be appreciated.   And will the biochar be
sold off or used on the fields that produced the straw?

4.  Are the bales created in away that allows for them to be split in
two or more pieces relatively easily?   I know how smaller hay bales are
made by ramming hay resulting in about 5 to 7 inch thick layers that are
tied together so that they do not fall apart.   If your bales are that
way, that could be a factor.   (You are NOT with the round bale
technology that would be difficult to separate into halves, etc.)

Looking forward to your reply.

Paul

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com