[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Biochar retort

Teel, Wayne Stephen - teelws teelws at jmu.edu
Wed Oct 30 06:39:13 CDT 2013

Mike,

I have a smaller batch retort system where I primarily use wood scraps for making biochar and fueling the system.  I back feed the gas produced into the burn chamber to finish the batch.  Whenever I put wood in with greater than a 2 inch diameter for pine, or 1.5 inch diameter for oak, the center of the pieces often fail to char.  Wood self insulates.  I can see the same problem with your large bales.  You would get good charring on the outside 6 inches or so, but the insulating quality of the straw would inhibit further biochar production.  I would pursue a continuous feed system with broken up bales rather than a big batch retort. I think the later would be both unwieldy and unproductive.

Wayne

Wayne S. Teel
701 Carrier Drive
ISAT MSC 4102