[Stoves] Biochar retort

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 29 19:18:10 CDT 2013

If I were trying to char bales of straw I would start with a kiln that tumbles, like an industrial dryer.
If you tumbled the bales in a cage the straw would fall out to the bottom of the kiln as it chars.
I charred a square bale (actually rectangular) of wheat straw in my barbecue cooker once. I replaced the bale strings with wire and the whole bale cooked to char and stayed together. It stunk up the place.
Lanny