[Stoves] A wisdom of Rebecca's stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 14:36:30 CDT 2013

Dear Rebecca

I can’t respond in detail at the moment to the other questions but there is an important element of your test reporting that should be reconsidered. What follows is in line with the current thinking about how to treat leftover fuel and how to report ‘efficiency’.

This is from your document:

RESULTS:

TIME TO BOIL:  41 minutes

WEIGHT OF FIREWOOD USED:  1.75kg  (3.00 – 0.10kg unburned wood – 1.00kg unused wood – 0.15kg charcoal)

There are two things of interest to the stovers: the heat transfer efficiency and the fuel consumption. It is important to keep in mind these are not the same thing and one does not translate into the other. Jim Jetter in his webinar mentioned this last week. The implications are significant. Jim and I and many others have discussed this for a while and we are settling on some clarifying remarks, you could say, about these two metrics.

People building stoves want to know if the heat transfer efficiency has changed, and there are standard engineering methods to work it out. The popular WBT does are reasonable though not completely accurate calculation of the heat transfer efficiency. It is not necessary in this message to go through that in detail, but it is important to understand that the WBT calculates the heat transfer efficiency, not the fuel consumption.  Your method falls somewhere in between.

The WBT does this by working out how much heat was available from the fuel, though does not include in that calculation the loss of energy from unburned particles and gases. The quantity of energy available from the fuel is compensated for moisture and the remaining charcoal which is given an arbitrary or measured heat value. This (theoretical) energy yielded total is expressed in Joules.

The energy in Joules is then divided by the heat energy available in the raw fuel were it to have been dried completely. It is called the ‘dry fuel equivalent’. It really is the dry fuel equivalent, no doubt about it, but it is not the dry fuel that was consumed. It is the dry fuel equivalent of the energy that was calculated to have been available, and that is used to determine the heat transfer efficiency (or a reasonable proxy of it).

As for the fuel efficiency, one can report the fuel consumption.  Your list above (which is a very good way to present the information, by the way) has this:

WEIGHT OF FIREWOOD USED:

3.00 minus 0.10kg unburned wood minus 1.00kg unused wood minus  0.15kg charcoal = 1.75kg  wood consumed

This means you are trying to calculate the mass of fuel consumed when performing the test, in this case a water boiling test.  The consumption of fuel can be taken to mean the mass of new fuel that you need each time the test is ‘replicated’. The reason this is different from the dry mass equivalent of the energy used to calculate the heat transfer efficiency is that there is always some wasted fuel from burn cycle to burn cycle.

‘Wasted’ is not a term of criticism, it is used to mean ‘not used’ and is a ‘loss’. Losses classically are divided into ‘chemical losses’ (in the form of un-oxidized gases) and ‘mechanical losses’, meaning unburned fuel that falls to the ground from a conveyor, so partially burned fuel in the ash and char remaining is in the latter category of mechanical losses.

The question that arises, as highlighted by Jim, is whether or not the fuel can be burned in the same stove during the next replication. If it can, then it is unburned fuel that will go to the next round and could therefore be deducted from ‘fuel consumed’. If not, then it falls into the category of ‘mechanical losses’ and has been ‘consumed’. That means for fuel consumption purposes it should not be deducted from the mass of fuel consumed per replication.

I have been working on a new method of determining the fuel consumption in a realistic setting, though still using a lab test. I discussed this with Jim some time ago though it was not presented as a separate method last week. It will be used in the upcoming round of testing in Indonesia’s CSI Pilot so some stovers will get to see what the influence is on their claimed fuel consumption rates. I am hoping your stoves will be included in that testing. The intention is to get a more accurate consumption figure.

The method is to ask the manufacturer what fuel from a previous cycle can be used in the next one. This claim is tested.  The reusable fuel remaining is then included in the following replication, meaning the tests do not start off with new raw fuel each time and end with having some partially burned wood and char. Tests are started with old fuel in the mix. If that leftover fuel is ‘fuel’ for that particular stove, it goes into the next replication as part of the fuel to be consumed and the raw fuel that has to be added is monitored separately. When that second replication ends, there will again be some unused/unburned/partially burned fuel left over. That becomes part of the fuel for the third burn. And so on.  The point is to determine how much additional raw fuel has to be added per replication so three are performed in a row with the old fuel going into the next round (if it can burn it). The calculation of the raw fuel consumed is surprisingly easy.

Perform a burn cycle first, then using the leftovers, perform three more and divide the raw fuel needed to do all of them by three. It is quite accurate and represents use in the field. It also avoids trying to judge the fuel remaining from each test individually and having as a final answer, the sum of all the errors. This new method divides the errors by three.  If a stove can’t use any of the fuel remaining, there is no error at all. What is consumed is what went in, 100%.

WEIGHT OF FIREWOOD USED:

3.00 = wood set aside to burn

0.10kg unburned wood = wood that is still in its original form

1.00kg unused wood = partially burned but left over?  If it is ‘processed’ in some manner, meaning dried out, partially charred and so on, obviously it has a different heat content. That matters, and it is hard to check.

0.15kg charcoal = some dry fuel equivalent, or some moist fuel equivalent, or some number of Joules.

If those ‘remainders’ can or cannot be used as fuel in the next fire (or is unlikely to be used in the target community) then the formula for mass of wood consumed must be changed to reflect reality.

= 1.75kg  wood consumed = not really. It depends.

Well, this kinda highlights my beef. The 1.75 value is not necessarily the same as the wood consumed, and if it was, it would (according to the WBT) be the mass of dry wood that is equivalent to the energy that was theoretically available to be released, based on the mass of fuel burned, factored for the As Received heat content and the energy in the charcoal remaining (which may or may not have been determined correctly).

The first step to cleaning up this calculation is to ask if the fuel remaining can be used in the next replication. If it cannot, it is consumed and you do not subtract it from the total. You also don’t have to test it.

Let’s assume the charcoal cannot be burned (based on the stove’s construction) but the ‘burned wood’ remaining can. We do not know the heat content of that burned wood, but per kg it will be quite a bit higher than the original moist fuel. Because nearly none of us have the ability to check on its heat content per kg, we should have started the test using such fuel left over from a previous test to cancel the error. That way the errors at the beginning and end will reasonably offset each other. As it is, the heat energy in the fuel remaining is ‘higher than the formula thinks’ which means the performance is under-reported.

If the char remaining is 1.6 times the dry fuel heat value, then the fuel mass equivalent is 0.15 x 1.6 = 0.24 kg of fuel that should not be deducted. I think you are using the moist fuel mass for the 3 kg so it is not exactly a WBT method.

If the unused fuel can be deducted, the partially burned fuel can (because we can’t go back to change the way the test was done) we end up with:

3.0 – 0.1 – 1.0 = 1.9 moist fuel kg consumed. To know the dry fuel equivalent we would have to know the moisture content and the dry fuel mass equivalents for each element of the formula.

If the stove can burn the charcoal in the next round, then one could legitimately deduct (0.15 x 1.6 = 0.24) kg from the dry fuel mass burned of those masses are in ‘dry fuel’ values. If the numbers are all for moist fuel, then a different conversion would be required because char is dry, the partially burned wood is drier and the unused wood is moist.

In short, try starting the stove with the fuel remaining from a previous test, and record the mass and condition. Try to do identical tests in a series so you can take them as a group. The new fuel you have to add each test is the consumption. Leave out the difficult and inaccurate estimates of the heat content of processed fuels.

The end result will be a much accurate assessment and in your case, slightly better performance once the charcoal question is addressed. For any stove that can burn all fuel remaining, the current methods under-report the system efficiency and over-report the fuel consumption.  For stoves that cannot burn any of the fuel remaining, the current methods over-report the system efficiency and under-report the fuel consumption. It is because of this that we are implementing a completely new approach to the determination of fuel consumption.

The heat transfer efficiency question is also being ‘spruced up’.