[Stoves] Blue Flame -- Natural Draft -- Rice Husk

Kobus Venter ventfory at iafrica.com
Wed Sep 4 10:43:08 CDT 2013

Hi Jaakko,

Interesting observations.  It is always difficult to have a stove to
burn both wood and the resultant charcoal.  I know Crispin has had much
success with this.  Not wanting to get into that discussion but more on
how to achieve clean combustion "blue flames" with a small charcoal
gasifying stove.  There are 2 ways:

1) build up a red hot mass of coals inside a totally sealed off chamber
allowing in only small amount of primary air.  Ambient secondary air to
diffuse with exit gases, manually ignited with a spark or catalyst
(close coupled combustion), or piped away to an adjacent burner
(something I only see on the charcoal gasifier groups).  Thickness of
bed important because most of the naturally occurring volatiles have
already been consumed.  Batch loaded pretty much.  Gas temperature
remain surprisingly high due to sealing of the chamber.

  2) allow pre-heated secondary air to mix with CO coming off a top lit
burn whereby insulated space above the bed allows for the exit gas
temperature not to diminish below the spontaneous combustion point of
CO, which is around the 600°C mark.  On 600 grams of charcoal you should
get 45 minutes on volatile gas and 45 minutes on carbon/gas combination,
with flame color becoming increasingly more yellow.  Thickness of bed is
an interesting phenomenon.  Thin bed = higher temperatures and thick bed
= lower temperatures. Interesting thing is that with a fully charged
chamber (±600 grams) however is that you double the volatile component
which compensates for the expected lower temperatures and as the "blue
flame" starts diminishing, the low bed height results in almost a white
hot burn, which allows meals to cook for the full 1.5 hours at a
constant temp, well almost.  This setup also allows for continues
topping up with charcoal to maintain the blue flame.

Highly insulative fire bricks being the key along with constant air flow
though the stove.  A litle shake of the stove will allow the bed to
settle and open channels to fill and alllow for stoichionetric
conditions to form once again.

Regards

Kobus

--