[Stoves] FW: Solar Dryer in Wings

jed.building.bridges at gmail.com jed.building.bridges at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 13:13:55 CDT 2013

Dear Fellow Stovers

The whole week last week, i was busy constructing my new solar dryer, again
with many innovations.

In the Philippines where rainfall is high, any stover, and producer of
briquettes and other fuels and practically any household, a solar dryer will
be an very important equipment. It saves the households from the trouble of
laying the stuff  in the sun and then running to get them back when the
rains are coming at any point in the day.

The innovations are as follows:

The heat collector panels i cut in two, that is fixing them on both sides of
the drying compartment.

The entire dryer is laid over a gravel ground that is fixed over a plastic
sheet. That is to prevent the moisture in the soil to enter from the bottom.

The floor of the dryer i laid big boulders and painted black. This will be
the heat bank.

It is made of PVC pipe this time. My next step is to introduce them to a
fishing village where floods is a daily occurence. Im planning to fix it
over a floater so it has to be light. The entire dryer weighs less than
fifteen kilograms. For the next model i will build with small bamboo poles.

Will share with you the rest of the photos in a separate email with smaller
size.

And the question is, will there be any toxic emissions from the PVC pipe
that i used? The dryer reaches about 55 degrees Celsius at its peak at noon
time. Im planning to also dry fish and dehydrate vegetables.

Finally, i also dried fish and tested it with my five pet cats and two dogs
sniffing around. I built a metal screen box and put the fish inside and the
whole box slides into the dryer.  Funny thing is that each one of the five
cats would last about ten minutes inside the dryer sniffing the fish and
then eventually give up. The dogs did not bother enter the dryer.