[Stoves] Hydrogen from charcoal

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Sep 8 10:41:03 CDT 2013

Crispin and list

    1.  This looks like excellent new data.  Congratulations to SeTAR for putting this out.

    2.   Small correction on "H2 and CO is surprisingly constant".   At the beginning,  H2 is about 1/4 as high as CO, but towards the end is 2/3 as large (2% vs 3%).  Understanding the origin of such huge numbers may be helped by understanding why H2 relative growth is worse than CO.  Of course understanding why there is growth of both/either  is critical.

     I have no ideas on either topic.  But these numbers further justify not trying to consume char in a TLUD.

    3.  A recent article by Dean Still and others emphasized that charcoal using stoves perform better with a small starting fuel load.  If anyone at SeTAR is listening, I think this is a very important topic and the list would benefit a lot from hearing more on the test.

   4.  The label on the graph says 0% O2.  Are there tests with added O2?  Results of that?

   5.  There are 3 or 4 vertical colored lines roughly 13 minutes apart.  The label might say "Pot".  What are these about?

   6.   You (Crispin) were talking recently about excess air computations involving CO.  I guess that the 2% H2 number is equally important in an energy sense as the 3% CO.  True?

   7.  Is this a typical run or exceptionally bad?   What is being done to improve these numbers?

Ron