[Stoves] Hydrogen from charcoal

Harold Annegarn hannegarn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 04:16:45 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin
Given the known interference in the chemical cell for measuring hydrogen
and CO, I would ascribe this correlation to instrument error. Chemistry
does not work like that.

One would need independent measurements of CO and H2, not dual measurements
from the same chemical cell with a known interference and an unknown
correction algorithm measuring low concentrations. It sounds to me like a
baseline correction issue, not a real measurement. I would consult the
manufacturers of the instrument
before claiming my Nobel prize.

On 9 September 2013 20:52, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear Frans****
>
> ** **
>
> Those are very interesting considerations for emissions testers.****
>
> ** **
>
> There are four sources of Hydrogen then: water in the ambient air, fuel
> moisture, hydrogen in the fuel and moisture in the stove body if it is made
> from a ceramic material.****
>
> ** **
>
> I am discounting the possibility that there is much hydrogen in the
> ambient air.****
>
> ** **
>
> In case anyone would like to see the raw data it is pasted below your
> reply. The high H2(EF) is not the result of an unusually high lambda value
> multiplied by a tiny hydrogen concentration. There is quite a lot present
> even at a significant dilution.****
>
> ** **
>
> I see no other mechanism for this level – water gas shift reaction. It is
> taking place at quite ordinary temperatures in relatively small fires (a
> few kW).  This may encourage some gasifier builders to consider ways to
> create better quality gas.****
>
> ** **
>
> So, why is the ratio to CO almost constant in most tests? The correlation
> coefficient between the CO and H2 is 97.7%. Given some room for instrument
> error, that is pretty darn close to unity.****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards****
>
> Crispin****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Dear Crispin,****
>
> ** **
>
> Dont forget: at 900 °C H2O +C------> H2 +CO Your plot is missing
> themperature !****
>
> Mind hydrogen is dens 2 versus  28 for CO becouse every mol gas  =22,4 L .
> ****
>
> So H2 escapes 14 times faster by Archimedes ....****
>
> If you measure in a horizontal stoofpipe! Up and down is different !!!****
>
> CO is not only the bad stove but the production from water in watergas .**
> **
>
> The smoke must be returned into a glowing fuelmass . Fluidized sand  bed
> or Karnetsoff system .****
>
> Hydrogen is free of no cost here ,so nobody has interesse to measure it .*
> ***
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Regards****
>
> Frans****
>
> ** **
>
> ++++++++++++****
>
> Raw data, H2, test SeTAR_539, charcoal****
>
> ** **
>
> *ppm H2 (5)*
>
> 0****
>
> 1****
>
> 0****
>
> 0****
>
> 0****
>
> 2****
>
> 2****
>
> 0****

> [...]

Harold Annegarn
Department of Geography Environmental Management and Energy Studies
University of Johannesburg
Mobile +27 (0)83 628 4210
Fax +27 11 559 2430
Office +27 11 559 3927