[Stoves] Hydrogen from charcoal

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 02:44:20 CDT 2013

[Default] On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 17:19:23 -0500,Paul Anderson
<psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:

>Charcoal stove, was operating, but "everything was cooled"??? Meaning
>that there was no "serious" (as in glowing red) char in the stove, but
>emissions were still coming off, correct?

If this was the case then I would expect the char would still be
undergoing pyrolysis and the higher tar molecules splitting. As you
all know town gas was originally made by heating coal to drive off CO
and H2.

That these molecules would survive the combustion is interesting but
could simply be the dilution by other combustion products putting the
air:fuel ratio out of range.

How does a hydrogen cell sense the presence of hydrogen i.e. what
mechanism is involved in the measuring instrument?

AJH