[Stoves] Hydrogen from charcoal

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Wed Sep 11 12:32:33 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin and all,

I never liked trusting a reading on an instrument that is not calibrated
before each use and for the situation applied (when possible). You have the
readings, air flow reading and dilution to get the rate Hydrogen is coming
off in instrument range. If you set the probe in a constant location, set
the dilution then add hydrogen into the air stream from a gas tank at a
known rate typical of what is seen. You can calibrate the instrument for the
situation. Make adjustments to the airflow (using those reading true or not)
to plot how linear the curve is. Forget the numbers given on the airflow and
H meter. Just use units of measure knowing what the true Hydrogen reading
should be because you know the amount released from the tank into the
system. This system for all the readings.

I realize when biomass gasses are given off there may be interferences and
we can't exactly use standard additions (H will explode!) to see how well
they work.

I think Dean does something like this when setting up his system(?).

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories; Inc.

42 Hangar Way