[Stoves] A doctoral thesis on stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 15:57:38 CDT 2013

Dear Paul

Before rushing to put in the TT's be aware that such devices in the actual
flame will impede combustion quite a bit, producing a lot of soot (clinging
to it).

If the carbon falls into the fire and burns, that might be OK. If, strictly
speaking, the purpose is turbulence, it could as well be created with
secondary air jets and the soot avoided. Everyone should try it to see the
effects.

Because we do not know the gas composition from the stove, it is hard to
know what the overall effect of the TTs was on combustion efficiency. This
is the sort of effect that is hard to guess.

Frank,

see below

Surprised to see twisted tape adding efficiency as I would think that would
just remove heat that was on its way to the pot.

They twisted tape (TT) is quite small and will be up to full temperature
quite quickly.   After that, they to not remove any more heat.   But the
added turbulence continues.   And seems to have substantial impact.

The test of the TT could easily be done in the Rocket stoves that have been
tested so many times.   Does 1 or more TT have impact there?

TT is one of several major designs for turbulence.   Looks like an important
topic for more study (and does not require fancy expensive equipment.