[Stoves] A doctoral thesis on stoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 20 14:00:55 CDT 2013

Frank,

see below

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 9/20/2013 12:45 PM, Frank Shields wrote:

> *Thanks Ron,*
>
> **
>
> *I was surprised to see snakes as being one of the problems listed on
> page ten.  Wonder what kind?*

*I think snakes were added to give some issue that would have low threat
(10 being low and 1 is high).*

> **
>
> **
>
> *Surprised to see twisted tape adding efficiency as I would think that
> would just remove heat that was on its way to the pot.
> *

They twisted tape (TT) is quite small and will be up to full temperature
quite quickly.   After that, they to not remove any more heat.   But the
added turbulence continues.   And seems to have substantial impact.

The test of the TT could easily be done in the Rocket stoves that have
been tested so many times.   Does 1 or more TT have impact there?

TT is one of several major designs for turbulence.   Looks like an
important topic for more study (and does not require fancy expensive
equipment.

> **
>
> **
>
> *Now that all this info is available this would be a good place to
> test different fuels, stoves etc. All of the 'six box' variables now
> controlled and we can swap out one at a time to see what happens.
> Re-arrange to report the following in order: *
>
> **
>
> *Review of the six variables:*
>
> *1)**Fuel(s)*
>
> *2)**Fuel manipulation between box1 and box 3*
>
> *3)**Stove(s)*

                     3-A)  Stoves with fixed positions of the pot
supports in relation to the combustion zone.
                     3-B)   Stoves that have ease of changing the
distance between the combustion device and the pot supports, allowing
for "Manipulation between combustion device and the stove
structure).     Paul