[Stoves] A doctoral thesis on stoves

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 20 17:00:31 CDT 2013

If the pot holders are too high, all the heat may flow to one side of the pot, especially if there is wind or air turbulence in the cook space

A smaller gap spreads the flow out across the bottom of the pot. The increased velocity also helps.

The problem is that with a multiple pot stove you have a cook top, and you don't want the heat flow to touch the cook top.

With a short potholders the heat scrapes the stove top.

You are trying to cook the pot not the stove. I learned this using a rectangular cook top which wants to warp when heated.

With the School Lunch Cooker I let the burner extend 1"/25mm above the cook top and used 2"/50mm tall pot holders. This puts the heat on the pot and shields the stove top with a layer of dead air.