[Stoves] Stove tipping

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Thu Sep 26 05:25:31 CDT 2013

I solved the problem of stove tipping on rough camping ground recently.

I made a simple uninsulated tincanium rocket stove for our children
camping at Reading Festival England where only fires are allowed for
cooking, no gas stoves due to past delinquency with gas cannisters!

For the top plate I made the simple interlocking cross pieces that Tom
Reed uses in the woodgas campstove, only a really tight fit so that they
grip the can well.  This permitted a slight oversize to the cross,
overhanging the sides of the chimney for greater pot stability.

For the base stabiliser I used two metal rods inserted through tight
fitting drilled holes at right angles just above the base can rim.  The
second inserted rod a slight banana shape, enough to clear the first rod.
 The resulting slight turn down into the ground of the second rod proved
useful as it permitted insertion into the ground with pressure from a
boot or hit with a stone until the stove was very firm.  All very crude
and simple, but effective, and it worked very well for them with no
incidents, becoming the envy of their fellow campers, ("where did you get
boiling water from?!").

Best wishes, Neil Taylor