[Stoves] Vectored combustion air control

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 29 12:31:24 CDT 2013

    This control should work with a TLUD. Inside the stove body you could have a divider that separates the upper (secondary air) and the lower (primary air) parts of the stove. When the control is rotated the air would be directed up or down or some fraction of each.

    You may need to use a square stove body because it would be difficult to use a round stove body.  A square stove body has a better/larger/safer footprint than round and eliminates the need for feet so the extra material for square may not increase the total cost.

    I used a tin can for the earlier prototypes of this control and they worked well but they are not commercial duty enough so I am now  using 20 and 16 gage stainless. You could use a standard size steel tubing if forming the piece is too difficult. Another option is to use two controls, one for primary and one for secondary but one control is half the expense of two.

    And yes you can push/pull the control to control the amount of air while directing the flow.

    This control works well for charcoal stoves because you can be very precise when it is time to simmer.

    I need the formula/spreadsheet for fuel efficiency that includes calculations for the moisture content of the wood (red oak).

    I use to do this with BTU and lbs but I need to start using the metric system.

    Lanny

      Lanny,

      Looks good.   Please tell us what is on the inside so that the out, in, up, down, left, right directional flows will accomplish different tasks.    And are there "partial" flows such as 30% down, 45% left with 25% blocked?