[Stoves] #1 sove hazard Stove tipping:

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 29 13:26:40 CDT 2013

Nathan and all,
I was looking at your stove safety and hazard work. Good job but I do not see the #1 hazard in my opinion, that is predatory trial lawyers. This is more a hazard for stove builders than stove users.
Has anyone tried to get liability insurance for their designs?
I had a discussion with a SCORE counselor who is an insurance underwriter and he ask what could go wrong with a safe stove. I said that possibly using the stove in a wrong way like overfiring (this is a problem for space heating stoves that hold a lot of wood but maybe not for cooking stoves), lighting a stove the wrong way, such as bottom lighting a top lit stove, using a cup of gasoline to start the fire, loading the stove with heart pine, and using an outside stove in an enclosed space.
Has anyone considered "wrong use" as a stove hazard? Does anyone have more examples of wrong use?
I ask  a intellectual property rights lawyer if I would be protected with an LLC, and he said that an LLC will not protect the inventor.
Does anyone have an insurance company that will underweight a safe wood fired stove?
This may only apply for stoves sold in the USA, the rest of the world has a more sane justice system for liability.
Crispin told me once that he would not consider selling stoves in the USA but that is where I am and that is where the money is.
I believe there is a market for the type of stoves we build, for the developing regions, in the Western more affluent areas, to use for outdoor cooking and entertainment and for emergency off grid situations.
Lanny