[Stoves] Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Musungu Wycliffe Nabutola reecon at mitsuminet.com
Tue Apr 15 09:15:20 CDT 2014

Dear Stovers and Biochar,

In 1999 or there about, I had the opportunity to work on the development of
charcoal production from coconut waste in Mombasa Kenya. We used coconut
husks, coir was very expensive and was being used to make some products like
door marts and such.

I developed a process for producing charcoal from coconut husks and also
briquetting them. I developed a retort that was running on some of the
coconut husks to generate heat that is then used to heat the other coconut
husks for charcoal production. The retort attained very high temperatures.

I even wrote a report on the process.

Thank you,

Musungu Wycliffe.