[Stoves] Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 15 08:33:13 CDT 2014

Stovers and Biochar folks,

Our thanks to Teddy in Kenya for his comments below sent to Lloyd H. and
a few others, and especially for the link to his blogspot (well worth
seeing).   It shows that he has successful creation of char from coir
(coconut husk).   But do note that his kiln is ignited at the bottom,
and then has the coir put on top.   That clearly seems to work, and I
see that as mainly a "retort" style of pyrolysis, with the heat (and no
oxygen) rising from the bottom to pyrolyze the coir.   So, if you are
only trying to make char (or biochar) from coir, consider Teddy's
method.   Maybe Trevor can replicate this in the Marshall Islands, or
others do it wherever possible.   Considering the tons and tons of coir
around for free, and the need for biochar for soil improvement in the
"coconut-belt" of the world, this could be quite significant.

Clearly it is not TLUD processing, so the question still remains if TLUD
pyrolytic methods and temperatures can sustain the secondary flame for
cooking and yield char.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com