[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 15 18:50:05 CDT 2014

Dear all,

Muzungu and Michael and Wikipedia have clarified some things.

1.  From inside to outside, we have:
a.  Hollow center (maybe with coconut water)
b.  copra (white coconut "meat")
c.  shell (very hard)
d.  coir (fiber) plus pith (fluffy dusty stuff), which can be separated.
e.  outer coat (like the skin)

(f)  I believe that by combining the coat and coir and pith as if one
item, it should be called "husk".

My interests have been in the husk, just cutting it apart as fuel pieces.

2.  Both Muzungu and Michael refer to the commercial processing (and
value) of husk (and coir component).   And I sense a contradiction with
other comments that seem to imply almost overwhelming piles of UNused
and truly waste husks.   Probably relates to how close the piles are to
the processing factories. But if HUSK is not abundant, than there is no
need to discuss much about burning it as a fuel.   But if it is truly
abundant, we should be discussing husk burning.

I have no idea if the amount of PITH (and maybe the outer coat or skin)
is sufficiently abundant where the coir has been processed.   If
abundant, then that is another topic, such as for making fuel briquettes
or pellets of pith/coat.

3.  So, correctly speaking of husk, Teddy has shown one way to make char.

Comments please.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com