[Stoves] Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Apr 15 19:09:31 CDT 2014

Good insights Crispin,

Re V pattern versus straight spiral: It was enough of a challenge to get the artisans to hold the necessary 2mm wobble tolerance thru one full  revolution. Besides the spike elements are  cut off concrete nails : they  have inbuilt lengthwise striations . Little long axis  side-thrust  material along the  long-axis.   We also experimented with addition of a chopper element such as   shown in its larger TMC cousin (on website). The chopper element in the TMC definitely required a flywheel which was created by the  12,  ½" thick x 2" x 7" long cutter bars welded onto the periphery of that machine's rotor.

In as much of the action of the mini TMC is pen fo frequent ocscillation ( for the mentioned desired slashing effect of harder materials) : A  flywheel would add little benefit in such case. The fact that the cutter bars are mounted in rubber  increases momentum thru the returning slashing  action of the cutter bars themselves.
The  fact of reversing direction frequently would also tend to  negate the center concentrating benefit of a V wedge design if ther were one, in either case I think.
Will be testing it a bit further here ( in Nicaragua) before putting out the manual for it in a month or so.

Richard