[Stoves] Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Wed Apr 16 10:55:27 CDT 2014

Mzee Musungu,
Samahani !
check out the briquette projects in Kisii by a fell Luo citizen called Isaiah Maobe  <isaiahom at yahoo.com> who trained a one Alphonse Okuku<alfokuku at yahoo.com>
Also there is a one  Katherine Mcbride ( Us mzungu) Kathryn Macbride <abeclub_miramonte at yahoo.com>who was working in western as well.
If you want to get to Mbale Uganda near Busia. contact Vicky Akello head of the Uganda United Womens Association (UUWA-J). Akello victoria <uuwaj at yahoo.com>
All should be familiar with incorporation fo charcoal dust and crumbs in the ordinary  agro- residue based briquette. here is a photo of some  samples we  collected several years ago, In the Bamaco samples (6 and 9 o'clock position) , ther are 25% and 40% concentrations of charcoal crumbs and dust  You cannot increase the charcoal to much more than  this because the   briquette ( held together by the fibers form the agricultural residers)  will no longer hold together (no matter how much pressure you apply).
Ironically, if you interrupt the fire beforef carbonization  the charcoal creates more charcoal so to varying degrees the process is self continuing

Badaye rafiki,

Richard (hasta, mzungu nusu)