[Stoves] blood analysis as heath impact certification for "clean" stoves

B.C. Romero Orellana bcromero at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:40:04 CDT 2014

Non-invasive measurement of carbon monoxide burden in Guatemalan children
and adults following wood-fired temazcal (sauna-bath)
use<http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/?p=993>

Lam, N., Nicas, M., Ruiz-Mercado, I., & Thompson, L., Romero, C., Smith
K.R. (2011). Non-invasive measurement of carbon monoxide burden in
Guatemalan children and adults following wood-fired temazcal (sauna-bath)
use. Journal of Environmental Monitoring.→ Download PDF

http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/?p=993

This happens when I was working for Kirk´s group and has a good aceptance
between people,  Maybe it will help and you don´t need to ask for blood
itself.

>:

> Dear Dean And All
>

> >Can you give us your thoughts, links on ventilation as an approach to
> reducing exposure to PM and CO?
>

> I can’t say I have many – there is a lot that has already been tried on
> this. Perhaps these notes are relevant:
>

> -          KK Prasad from the Eindhoven stove group modelled smoke
> concentration in a standard room and found it was not well mixed at all
> meaning there is a good chance a simple vent can capture most of it.
>
> -          A study by the Biomass Energy Group in Swaziland (with
> assistance of early ProBEC South in Zimbabwe) found that kitchen design in
> the lowveld (Swazi v.s. Shangaani traditional structures) made an 8:1
> difference in exposure, with the Shangaani kitchens consistent >400 µg/m3.
>
> -          In warm countries hoods and vents are accepted easily
>
> -          Stove promotion programmes ostensibly interested in IAQ are
> strongly resistant to installing non-stove hardware as a mitigation measure
> because a hood/vent is ‘not a stove’.
>
> -          In cold countries hood and vents are not acceptable because of
> the heat loss and because the manner in which the air is replenished in the
> room causes discomfort (cold drafts).
>
> -          Natural draft air-to-air heat exchangers have not been
> investigated as far as I have heard, as a mitigation strategy for closed
> rooms. Such a device is easily modelled to a first order basis and would
> really help a lot in Nepal, for example.
>
> -          Chimney stoves, the only practical long term solution to
> combusting solid fuels indoors, are not well understood in the stove
> enthusiast community and not particularly well designed in the stove
> manufacturing sector.
>
> -          There is an improved kitchen (instead of improved stove)
> project that has been going for a long time in Indonesia. It produces very
> obvious results and the improved kitchens are much nicer places to spend
> time. The solution involves both a chimney and ventilation, a multi-pot
> stove and certain safety considerations. The contact point is Christina
> Aristante at YDD, Yogyakarta.
>
> -          In consequence there is a lot of scope for improvement and
> many ways to do it.
>

> Regards
>
> Crispin

Carolina Romero